It’s a Friday night in the mid 1990s. You ask your parents to take you to your local Blockbuster store to pick out some movies to rent for the weekend. It does not take long and you see it. The movie everyone is talking about. Your strides get quicker, your heart rate increasing a bit. The last tag is hanging, meaning there is one copy left behind the counter. That tag feels like a golden ticket in your hand. You rush home and call your friends on the land line phone to let them know that you are the proud holder of the last available copy of Mars Attacks on VHS. It is all planned out. You have the movies and your friends are all bringing the snacks. Since the 90s was the decade of snack innovation, a kid could not ask for a more promising weekend.
If this scenario sounds reminiscent of your child hood, you might be a 90s kid. And if you grew up in this decade, chances are you have enjoyed items from the following list of nostalgic foods. All of the items on this list bring me back to the 90s, a time when life was less complicated.
I hope you enjoy this little journey back to 90s snack time! Here is a list of snacks from the 90s you will defiantly remember if you grew up or had kids in this decade. (Also, looking at this list I can see why our generation saw a spike in childhood obesity…)
- DaunkAroos – Cookies in a container that included about 2tbs of sprinkled icing. The kangaroo on the package always comes to mind.
- Fruit Rollups- They made these in long rolls and also flat squares with different characters and shapes cut out in them. Food manufacturers found another way to make colored sugar marketable for a lunchtime snack.
- Begal Bites – Because pizza on a bagel is just wonderful!
- Koolaid Squeez its – These drinks were in plastic bottles with twist tops. They had faces on the front. They came in blue, purple, red, and orange. Again, sugar and food coloring.
- Sunny Delight- Orange juice, but without any real oranges. I LOVED Sunny D as a kid. With 27 grams of sugar per 8oz, why wouldn’t it be delicious?
- Wonder Ball- “I wonder, wonder, what’s in a wonder ball….” Remember the jingle?
- Bugles – Defiantly remember having one of these cone shaped chips on each finger while eating them as a kid!
- Fun Dip – Again with the colored sugar. And a handy dandy edible white sugar spoon for dipping!
- Gushers- Colored gummy sugary bites, filled with more colored sugary liquid! A 90s kid kind of snack for sure.
- Push-Ups – I remember getting these from the ice cream truck in the summertime. Frequently orange in flavor, these frozen treats were less messy, with a convenient cardboard wrapping and plastic stick for pushing up the treat while eating it.
- The never-ending genre of breakfast cereals including; Honey Comb, Corn POPs, Cookie Crisp, French Toast Crunch, Waffle Crisp, Apple Jacks, Kix, Cinnamon Mini Buns, Captain Crunch, Golden Crisp, Trix, Honey Smacks, Fruity Pebbles, Coco Pops, Coco Pebbles, Lucky Charms, Pop Tart Crunch, Mr.T, Hidden Treasures, Frosted Flakes, Alpha-Bits, Rice Krispies, Rice Krispie Treat Cereal, …. and the list goes on. This was the decade for sugary cereal industry. Remember the days when there were toys inside of the cereal box??
The 90s were truly great years to be a kid. The food was great. The cartoons were great. If I could take a time travel trip to another time in my life, I would definitely spend it in 1995 or 1996. No cell phones, no wifi, no computers. Just sugary snacks and great TV. Sounds like a good time travel vacation to me!